Monday, March 21, 2011

John Galliano - His work.

Sooooooo I was totally going to blog about John Galliano, I really was. But every time I started reading up on him, ya know, for references and view points etc, I found that nothing I could say could possibly improve his image at this point... and that if I tried, it would look ridiculous. So alls I'm going to do is say this:

When I was about 11 or 12 I stumbled upon Fashion Television one morning on Star TV (Canadiana plug what what??) and saw the most beautiful imagery I'd ever seen in the creations of some of the top designers of the era. These included Alexander McQueen, back when he was just starting out, and Tom Ford when he was with Gucci, not to mention that (1997-98) was the time when Galliano was first hired at Christian Dior. I watched and drooled at everything I saw...especially Galliano. His chiffon bias cut dresses...his sense of colour and contrast that - seriously - I've been trying to copy ever since, not to mention his absolutely perfect sense of form and shape, evident in the majority of his Haute Couture work over the past 14 years.

John Galliano's work at Dior, and with his own self-titled line, has really been the biggest influence on my own work as a designer and it absolutely broke my heart to see his downfall.
So without going into that story, here are a bunch of photographs of my favorite and most influencial John Galliano desings.